Literacy in Bloom will address the lack of access to learning resources for unschooled adults, illiterate women and bilingual children in the developing world using Bloom - a free interactive software. The ability to read, write and understand numerical concepts has an enormous impact on a person’s life, as it is integral to social, political and economic empowerment. Literacy is essential for lifelong education and opens doors for a higher standard of living and self-esteem.
At a global level, statistics indicate:
- 774 million adults cannot read or write
- Two-thirds of illiterate adults are female
- 220 million children cannot access education in their own language
Literacy in Bloom enables those with little computer experience and no internet access to write level-appropriate electronic resources in mother tongue vernaculars. These resources can then be uploaded to a virtual library and disseminated from phone to phone for others to read, whist additional features allow interactive learning through quizzes, games, comprehension activities, audio files and a facility for users to ask questions and send feedback.
Key Areas of Investment
- Expansion of Bloom software
- Development of interactive literacy apps
- Online training programs in key Languages
- Presentations and conferences
- Workshops for Literacy and Development organisations
- Monitoring and Evaluation