A violent earthquake measuring 7.5 on the Richter scale, with two severe aftershocks measuring 6.0 and 6.7 respectively, has impacted the remote Hela / Southern Highlands regions of PNG. At least 145 people have died and an estimated 270,000 people are in need of emergency aid. Vast amounts of infrastructure have been destroyed by the continual shaking of buildings off their foundations.
Go International’s PNG development partners, Christian Apostolic Fellowship, have been terribly impacted. Food, clean water and medical supplies are amongst the most immediate needs however landslides, road damage and lack of communication are hampering delivery.
In the mid-term, help is needed to rebuild health clinics and classrooms, as well as seedlings for future food security.
Key Areas of Investment
- Immediate food, water, shelter, sanitation, medicines
- Reconstruction & fit-out of health clinics x 2, including operating table and delivery table
- Reconstruction of housing for health staff x 2
- Reconstruction of double classroom
- Rebuild of school office complex
- Portable sawmill
- Roofing iron / building materials
- Water tanks